Clean Label Conferences Library
Welcome to our Clean Label Conference Library, which provides you free access to valuable speaker presentations and post-conference summaries.
Presentations and summaries from the annual Protein Trends & Technologies Seminar and Sweetener System Conference are also available. Please explore Global Food Forums’ upcoming product development conferences.
NOTE: This content is copyrighted. Reproduction, in part or whole, is not permitted without the written consent of the owners of Global Food Forums. To reference materials in other publications, reports and presentations, please attribute the information to the speaker, their affiliation and the event.
Annual Clean Label Conference Summaries
Clean Label Conference Presentations
To access presentations, click on the year in which the event was held.
2019 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE GENERAL SESSION SPEAKERS
Understanding the Clean Label Movement & What it Means for the Industry Available to 2019 CLC attendees by password until May 27, 2019
— Mindy Hermann, MBA, RDN, Innova Market Insights
Do Cleaner Labels have Unintended Health Consequences?
— Joanne L. Slavin, Ph.D., RD, Professor, Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota
Challenges & Solutions: An Update on Label-friendly Surfactants & Emulsifiers
— Professor Peter J. Wilde, Ph.D., Research Leader, Quadram Institute
Challenges & Solutions for “Preservative-free,” Microbial-safe Foods
— Kathleen Glass, Ph.D., Assoc. Director, Distinguished Scientist, Food Research Institute
Formation of Flavor—Is Natural the same as Clean Label?
— Deepthi (DK) Weerasinghe, Ph.D., Principal, dP3Consulting
The Effect of Color on Odor Perception: Toward More Efficient Ingredient Use
— Debra Zellner, Ph.D., Professor, Psychology, Montclair State University & Monell Chemical Senses Center.
Behind the Label: Clean Label “Musts” for the Ingredient Supply-Chain
— Steve Taormina, Business Unit Manager, NSF International
Delivering Clean Label to the Transitioning Omnivore
— Rachel Cheatham, PhD, Founder & CEO, Foodscape Group, LLC
The Impact of Regulatory Requirements & Litigation Risk on Clean Label Product Development and Marketing (Available to 2019 CLC Attendees by password until May 27, 2019)
— Leslie T. Krasny, Partner, Keller and Heckman LLP
Factors to Be Considered for Selecting the Best Fats & Oils to Meet Clean Label Requirements
— Neil Widlak, MSc, Consultant, Fats and oil Technologies
2019 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOTS
• Jungbunzlauer’s Trimagnesium Citrate Anhydrous, a desiccant and source of magnesium (Available to 2019 CLC Attendees by password until May 27, 2019)
• Lycored’s super stable natural reds, oranges and yellows
2018 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE GENERAL SESSION PRESENTATIONS
You Are What You Eat: New and Emerging Consumer Views of What Should Be in Food
– Elizabeth A. Sloan, Ph.D., President, Sloan Trends, Inc.
Ingredient Labeling to Capture Consumer Confidence Considering Regulatory Risk
– Lauren Swann, MS, RD, LDN, Concept Nutrition Inc.
Clean Label Solutions to Controlling Lipid Oxidation
– Eric Decker, Ph.D., Prof. and Head, Dept. of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amhurst
Label-friendly Dairy Ingredients: Physio-chemical Properties and Uses in Foods & Beverages
– Sonia Patel, MSc, Dairy Application Scientist, Midwest Dairy Foods Research Center and Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota
Cultural Use & Functional Properties of Ancient Grains: What it Means for New Product Applications
– Melanie Goulson, MSc, Principal Scientist, Merlin Development & Adjunct Prof., St. Catherine University
Microbial Control in Clean Label Products: Pathogens are the Easy Part
– Peter Taormina, Ph.D., President, Etna Consulting Group
Exploring Today’s Top Ingredient Trends & How They Fit into our Health-Conscious World
– Thea Bourianne, MBA, RD, LDN, Sr. Food & Beverage Data Analyst, Label Insight
The Cost of Clean Label: Challenges and Solutions for Managing a Clean Label Supply Chain
– Will Lennon, MBA, Chief Operating Officer, Imbibe
Overcoming Clean Label Challenges in Sugar Replacement, Reduction and Reformulation
– Jerome Diaz, Ph.D., Food and Biobased Research, Wageningen University and Research
2018 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT PRESENTATIONS
For more information on how these 15 minute presentations are jury selected, see Technology Snapshot Advisory Panel.
BENEO, Remy, Remyline & Remypure functional native rice starches: To request this presentation, please contact Steven Gumeny, Regional Product Manager, BENEO, Steven.email@example.com
International Arigricultural Group, NuBana™ green banana flours
Kerr Concentrates, Jicama Juice Concentrate, neutral flavored sweetener
MÜNZING North America, MAGRABAR®, clean label antifoam/defoamers
Nexira, Guarana Extract, clean label extracts for beverages
Sensus America, Betawell beet root extract to lower GI of products
Sunsweet Ingredients, plum concentrates & purees
TIC Gums, Ticaloid® Ultrasmooth CL hydrocolloid gum blend
2018 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE APPLICATION BRIEFS
Biospringer, Snacks: Baker’s yeast-based fermentation products
Savoury Systems, Soups & Sauces: Sodium reduction solutions
2017 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE GENERAL SESSION PRESENTATIONS
Moderator introduction including comments on the dietary supplement industry’s use of the term “clean.”
– Claudia O’Donnell, Co-owner, Global Food Forums, Inc.
Increasing Consumer Confidence and Driving Value Through Clean Label Claims Globally
– Alan Rownan, Ethical Labels Analyst, Euromonitor International
Emerging Clean Label Claims: Regulations & Liabilities
– Chip English, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Formulating “Clean Label” Dairy, Non-Std. Dairy, & Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts
– L. Steven Young, Ph.D., Principal, Steven Young Worldwide
Emerging Research to Practical Approaches on Natural Antimicrobial Use
– Matthew Taylor, Texas A&M University
Selecting Natural Sweeteners: Products, Properties, and Performance
– Melanie Goulson, Msc, General Manager & Principal Scientist, Merlin Development; Adjunct Professor, St. Catherine University
Insights into Flavoring Use and the Impact of Clean Labels
– Robert J. McGorrin, Ph.D., CFS, Department Head and Jacobs-Root Professor, Food Science & Technology, Oregon State University
Strategies to Create Consumer-friendly Ingredient Statements
– Ronald Visschers, Ph.D., Business Line Manager, TNO food research
Consumer & Restaurant Menu Trends: The Clean Label Influence
– Lizzy Freier and Aimee Harvey, Managing Editors, Technomic Inc.
Advances on Naturally-derived Antioxidants for Enhanced Shelflife and Efficacy
– Fereidoon Shahidi, PhD, Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland
2017 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT PRESENTATIONS
For more information on how these 15 minute presentations are jury selected, see Technology Snapshot Advisory Panel.
Sensus, Frutalose SFP
BioSpringer, Baker’s Yeast Extract (not available online)
Kemin, Acerola Cherry Extract
Anderson Global Group, Allulose Low-calorie Sugar
Givaudan, Kitchen Ingredient Flavorings
Corbion, UltraFresh Shelf-life Extende
NutraEx Food Inc., Natural Sweeteners
Ingredion, CleanTaste Pulse Ingredients
Corbion, Clean Label Verdad Powders
TIC Gums, Ticaloid Pro 181AG
Advanced Ingredients, FiberSmart Tapioca Fiber
Kemin, GT-FORT (TBHQ Replacer)
Chr Hansen, Red Beet Colorant
FiberStar, Citri-Fi 00M40/Citri-Fi 125M40
PLT Health Solutions, PhytoShield Flavor Enhancer
Kerr Concentrates, Sweet Squash
2017 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE APPLICATION BRIEFS
Diana Foods Ingredients, Clean Label Colors in Confectionery
Naturex, Clean Label Colors for Beverages
2016 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE GENERAL SESSION PRESENTATIONS
Clean Label Focus: What are Consumers Saying and How is Industry Responding?
– Tom Vierhile, MBA, Innovation Insights Director, Canadean
Clean Labels: Effective Marketing and Avoiding Regulatory Potholes
– Steven Steinborn, J.D., Partner, Hogan Lovells US LLP
The Chemistry and Application of Natural Flavorings
– Keith Cadwallader, Ph,D., Professor of Food Chemistry, Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Natural Antimicrobials: Strategies and Considerations for Their Food Use
– Jairus David, Ph.D., Senior Principal Scientist, Innovation & Research ConAgra Foods, Inc.
An Industry Insight into Replacing Nitrites and Phosphates in Processed Meats
– Webb Girard, MSc, Culinologist, Culinex, LLC
Conventional to Emerging Natural Sweeteners: Key Properties for Product Applications
– Catalin Moraru, Ph.D., Group Leader, International Food Network / Covance
The Organic & Non-GMO Supply Chain: What Companies Need to Know to be Competitive
– Scott Shander, MSc, Economist, Mercaris
“Natural” Hydrocolloids: Physiochemical Properties to Research Initiatives
– Srinivas Janaswamy, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor, Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, Purdue University
2016 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT PRESENTATIONS
Corbion, Verdad Avanta F100 and Y100
BENEO, Native rice starches
PLT Health Solutions, Vibrant Harvest—Multi-functional whole food powders
Chr Hansen, FruitMax Huckleberry Red 501 WS–Colorant
Ingredion, FOAMATION–Foaming agent
Diana-N’Taste, Umami booster
Corbion, Pristine 2000–Dough conditioner
Delavau, Accent–Dough conditioner
Kerry DuraFresh, Antifungal ingredient
Kerry DuraFresh, UC—Antimicrobial
2015 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE GENERAL SESSION PRESENTATIONS
The Global Clean Label Phenomena: Trends, Insights & Implications
– Lu Ann Williams, MBA, Director of Innovation, Innova Market Insights
From Natural to Non-GMO: What Regulators and Consumers Want You to Know
– Catherine Adams Hutt, Ph.D., RD, Principal, RdR Solutions Consulting;
LLC/Chief Science and Regulatory Officer, Sloan Trends
Meaningful Clean Up: A Comprehensive View of a Developer’s Techniques & Options
– Chef John Csukor, CEO, KOR Food Innovation
Natural Color in the USA: The Process to Natural Color Approval — What Product Developers Need to Know
– Ray Matulka, Ph.D., Director of Toxicology, Burdock Group
Fruit & Vegetable Ingredient Toolbox: Opportunities for Clean Label Formulation
– Martha (Marty) Porter, Scientist, Merlin Development
Antioxidant Potential of Plant-based Food Ingredients and Whole Plant Foods
– Jin Ji, Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer & Executive Vice President, Brunswick Laboratories, Inc.
Clean Label Anti-microbial Ingredients: How to Find Them?
– Frank Schuren, Ph.D., Senior Scientist Microbiology, TNO Microbiology & Systems Biology
Answering the Challenge: Label-friendly Emulsifiers and Surfactants for Food Systems
– Professor Peter J. Wilde, Ph.D., Institute of Food Research
Back to the Future in Baking: Giving Baked Goods Today’s Desired Properties with the Basic Ingredients
– David Busken, R&D Manager, Oak State Products
TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT PRESENTATIONS (Selected by a jury process)
(Added upon approval of individual speakers)
• GNT USA, Inc.—Gold Standard in Clean Label Color
The Gold Standard in clean-label color. Minimally processed colors, made from fruits, vegetable and plants, without chemical solvents, are the most clean-label alternative to replace FD&C dyes. GNT will present technical insights and regulatory developments during the 2015 Clean Label Conference.
• DDW, The Color House–“Simple Label” Brown Technologies DDW
Caramelized vegetables and fruits; other natural flavors with consistent color; oil-dispersible colorings that broaden the scope of natural options in fat systems; and certified-organic color blends.
• Co-presenters Solazyme & Univar: AlgaVia™ Microalgae Food Ingredients
AlgaVia™ Lipid Powder can replace or reduce select oils and dairy fats in recipes, to make formulations healthier and more indulgent. AlgaVia™ Protein makes vegan protein fortification simpler, is free from known allergens, gluten free, and adds additional fiber and micronutrients to finished products.
• Tate & Lyle—CLARIA® Functional Clean-Label Starches (Edited for online posting)
Thanks to Tate & Lyle’s unique technology, CLARIA® Functional Clean-Label Starches provide manufacturers the new label-friendly solution that overcomes existing challenges, offering process tolerance and sensory attributes similar to modified starches, while enabling a simple “corn starch” label.
• Sensient Flavors & Fragrances—Natural Ingredients –Chili+ higher stability capsicum/paprika colorings
In response to growing consumer demand for cleaner labels, Sensient has developed all natural processes and excipients to create a line of color-stable and free-flowing capsicums.
• Nexira— Efistab™ AA & SuperStab™ AA–Acacia gum emulsifiers for preservative free and challenging emulsions (will not be available online)
All-natural, acacia gum emulsifiers: Efistab™ AA — stabilizes clean label, liquid flavor emulsions where preservatives are replaced with up to 18% alcohol. SuperStab™ AA– low-dose emulsifier for difficult to stabilize, liquid flavor emulsions.
• Ingredion—NOVATION® Functional Native Starches (edited for online publication)
NOVATION® functional native starches provide the fully functionality of modified starch – processing tolerance and freeze-thaw, shelf-life stability — but with a clean “starch” label declaration. The portfolio includes 20 starches verified by the Non-GMO Project.
• Naturex —Concentrated, Carrier-free Acerola Cherry Extract (edited for online publication)
Naturex has developed the most concentrated, carrier-free acerola cherry extract on the market containing 36-38% ascorbic acid. It is used as an antioxidant, curing enhancer, dough conditioner and for nutritional claims based o
• CP Kelco—GENU BETA Pectin (Edited for online posting)
GENU BETA pectin provides formulators with a clean label pectin that is approved for use in organic products. It can be used to replace traditional emulsifiers in a variety of applications, like sauces and dressings.
• PLT Health Solutions—Earthlight™ Whole Food Vitamin D (Edited for online posting)
Earthlight™ Whole Food Vitamin D is a vegan, whole food, non-GMO mushroom powder. Simple light exposure enhances the natural vitamin D in mushrooms, enabling low-level additions for “good” or “excellent” source claims.
• Palsgaard—AcidMilk 316 vegetable fibers (Edited for online posting)
When the target is clean label, it is important to stabilizers that provide a firm structure and uphold a smooth and creamy consistency of the stirred yogurt. Fibers and native starch prove to be the perfect solution.
• BENEO Inc.—Two Clean Label Rice Starches
BENEO-Remy showcases two clean label rice starches for usage in confectionery coatings and meat- injection/tumbling. Rice starch is characterized by small granule size; neutral color and taste; and smooth and delicate textures.
• Sensus America, Inc.—Frutalose SF75
Frutalose SF75 from Sensus is a natural, low-calorie sweetener that can be used to reduce sugar in a variety of applications. It is 65% the sweetness of sugar and has a clean label as “chicory root fiber.”
• Kemin—BactoCEASE NV-K Liquid (will not be available online)
BactoCEASE NV-K Liquid is a no-sodium, natural vinegar product that provides effective pathogen control in ready-to-eat meat and poultry products. Presentation will include a review of the data, labeling and advantages to this no sodium ingredient.
• CF Global Holdings—Coffee Flour
Coffee Flour is created from an innovation re-purposing discarded coffee cherry pulp and skins, allowing food manufacturers to offer gluten-free, natural, nutritious ingredients. It is high-fiber and a good source of potassium and has potential as a natural, effective shelflife extender.
• Corbion—Verdad Family of Fermented/Cultured Sugar
The Verdad(R) family of fermented/cultured sugar ingredients brings a truly unique blend of label-friendliness, safety and extended shelflife in meat products for maximum consumer appeal.
• Ribus–Nu-FLOW alternative to Si02
Nature created the rice husk; Ribus created Nu-FLOW (natural, organic alternative to Si02). Applications include spices, beverages, flavor carriers, sauces and dietary supplements. See how a simple plant fraction can meet formulators and consumers’ needs.
• The Scoular Company–Sacha Inchi Oil High in Omega-3
Sacha Inchi oil, from Scoular, contains one of the highest omega-3 contents from plant sources. Expeller-pressed from the sacha inchi seed, this allergen-friendly, non-GMO or organic product is the perfect omega-rich ingredient for food or supplements.
2015 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT PRESENTATIONS
GNT USA, Gold Standard in Clean Label Color
DDW, The Color House–“Simple Label” Brown Technologies DDW
Co-presenters Solazyme & Univar: AlgaVia™ Microalgae Food Ingredients
Tate & Lyle, CLARIA® Functional Clean-Label Starches
Sensient, Flavors & Fragrances—Natural Ingredients –Chili+ higher stability capsicum/paprika colorings
Nexira, Efistab™ AA & SuperStab™ AA–Acacia gum emulsifiers for preservative free and challenging emulsions
Ingredion, NOVATION® Functional Native Starches
Naturex, Concentrated, Carrier-free Acerola Cherry Extract
CP Kelco, GENU BETA Pectin
PLT Health Solutions, Earthlight™ Whole Food Vitamin D
Palsgaard, AcidMilk 316 vegetable fibers
BENEO, Two Clean Label Rice Starches
Sensus America, Frutalose SF75
Kemin, BactoCEASE NV-K Liquid
CF Global Holdings, Coffee Flour
Corbion, Verdad Family of Fermented/Cultured Sugar
Ribus, Nu-FLOW alternative to Si02
The Scoular Company, Sacha Inchi Oil High in Omega-3
2013 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE GENERAL SESSION PRESENTATIONS
Consumer & Market Trends: Opportunities for Simple Clean & Pure Abound
– Steve French, M.B.A., Managing Partner, NMI
Packaging Does Much More than “Contain” It Defines your 1st Sale
– Kenneth S. Marsh, Ph.D., Kenneth S. Marsh & Associates, Ltd.
Natural Antioxidants: Maximizing Effective Shelf-life Extension
– Fereidoon Shahidi, Ph.D., Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Emerging and Applied Clean Label Starch Technologies
– Sakharam K Patil, Ph.D., President, S. K. Patil and Associates, Inc.
Opportunities and Limitations of Natural Antimicrobials
– Kathleen Glass, Ph.D., Associate Director, Food Research Institute, University of Wisconsin-Madison
When Natural Isn’t Good for You: Managing Food Safety, Litigation & Regulatory Risk
– Anthony T. Pavel, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
From Walmart to Whole Foods: What Are Shoppers Looking For?
– Linda Gilbert, CEO and Founder, EcoFocus Worldwide
Bringing Culinology to Clean Label Development – How and Why it Matters
– Mark Crowell, Principal Culinologist, CRC, M.B.A., CuliNex, LLC
Taste Physiology and Considerations in Sweetener Choices
– Alex Woo, Ph.D., Managing Director and Founder, W2O Food Innovation
A Food Scientist’s Approach to Working with Organics
– Sharon Herzog, M.Sc., Director of R & D, Country Choice Organic
2013 CLEAN LABEL CONFERENCE TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT PRESENTATIONS
Glanbia Nutritionals, Benefits of OptiSol® 3000 in Artisan Italian Bread
Grain Millers, Save Dough Using SafeExtend
BioSpringer, The World of Yeast Products
Corbion-Caravan, Pristine® 500 Dough Strengthener & Conditioner
Dow AgroSciences, Healthier and Functional Oils for Clean Labels
Ingredion, Quillaja Extract Emulsifier: Q-Naturale®
Innova Flavors, Clean Label Meat and Savory Flavors
Nexira, Clean Label & Acacia Gum
Tree Top, Sulfite-Free, Light Colored Dried Apples
Vegetable Juices, Purple Sweet Potato Juice Concentrate
Z-Trim Ingredients, Clean Up Your Label with Z-Trim Corn Fiber Process Resistant Corn Fiber
A Global Food Forums Event